ASBP Awards 2022 set to be the biggest yet - now open for entries!
10 September 2021
The 4th annual ASBP Awards return for 2021-22 and are set to be bigger than ever, with entries welcomed across three categories including exemplary sustainable building projects, innovative products and forward-thinking initiatives.
Last year’s ASBP Awards took place in the heart of the Covid pandemic, as we all adapted to the ‘new normal’. This meant that we had to re-think our approach, with a focus on recognising people’s lockdown epiphanies, innovative ideas, and radical climate action, rather than building projects. Many of the ideas shortlisted were formulated during the pandemic and provided much-needed respite and inspiration during what was, and continues to be, a difficult period for many.
The 2021-22 ASBP Awards will see a return to our usual sustainable building projects and products focus, whilst once again recognising inspirational initiatives.
- Project category – for exemplary building projects, new-build or retrofit.
- Product category – for products at the forefront of sustainability, including the latest product innovations and industry-recognised, high-performance solutions.
- Initiative category – for forward-thinking ideas, initiatives, or tools.
The ASBP Awards 2022 are FREE to enter. As with previous ASBP Awards, we would like your submission to be framed within the aspirations of the ASBP’s “Six Pillars of Sustainable Construction”. Entries must be submitted via the online application forms on the ASBP website.
- Projects must be complete and handed over by July 2021.
- Projects must be located within the United Kingdom.
- Projects may be new build or retrofit.
- Projects may be any building type/sector (i.e. commercial, residential, education).
- Entries are welcomed from any person in the project team (i.e. architect, consultant, client, contractor, product manufacturer/supplier).
- Joint submissions from more than one company/person in the project team are welcomed.
- Companies located outside of the United Kingdom may apply, as long as the project is situated within the UK.
- Shortlisted entrants may be required to record a short video to supplement their application.
- Shortlisted projects will be required to host a site visit during November-December 2021 (in-person/virtual TBC, dependant on Covid situation).
Additionally, where applicable we would like entrants to take into account and answer the following questions when you explain how your project excels in each Pillar.
- Products – Were any particular products essential to the success of this project? Do you have any evidence of the performance of these products?
- Measured performance – Do you have any measured performance data for the building? What does the data show?
- Lessons learned – What lessons were learned from the project? What would you do differently?
- Replicability/scalability– Are the design/construction approaches adopted on the project easily replicable and could be scaled up?
- Products must be on the market as of July 2021 (i.e. not at product development stage).
- Products must be available to purchase/specify in the United Kingdom.
- Both building products (i.e. insulation, windows, paints) and systems (i.e. closed panel, off-site manufactured, SIPs) are welcomed.
- We welcome submissions for both new-to-market products and industry-recognised/well-established solutions.
- Entries are expected from product manufacturers but joint submissions from more than one person/organisation are welcomed (product manufacturer and i.e. architect/client/ contractor).
- Companies located outside of the United Kingdom may apply, as long as the product is available to purchase/specify within the UK.
- Shortlisted entrants may be required to record a short video to supplement their application.
- As a prize, applicable winners/finalists may receive a preliminary certification assessment of their product by the ecolabel natureplus (subject to meeting certification criteria).
Additionally, where applicable we would like entrants to take into account and answer the following questions when you explain how your product excels in each Pillar.
- Projects – Are there any particular projects/case studies that showcase the strengths of your product?
- Measured performance – Do you have any third-party accredited performance or life cycle analysis data for the product? I.e. Environmental Product Declaration, Cradle to Cradle, natureplus, Passivhaus, BBA, NHBC.
- Lessons learned – What lessons have been learned from the product’s development? Is there anything that could be improved?
- Replicability/scalability – Could the product be adopted/used at scale?
- Types of entries could include (but are not limited to):
- Media (i.e. podcast, webinar series).
- Education programmes.
- Building projects or products should be entered into the Project or Product categories.
- Shortlisted entrants will be required to record a short video to supplement their application.
How to enter
- Visit the ASBP Awards 2022 page on the ASBP website – https://asbp.org.uk/asbp-awards-2022.
- Click ‘Entry criteria and application form’ for the relevant category – Project, Product or Initiative.
- Check the entry criteria to make sure your submission is eligible.
- For Projects and Products – Download the relevant submission template and complete. This is where you can explain in detail how your submission excels across the ASBP’s ‘Six Pillars of Sustainable Construction’. You can also attach any supporting information such as plans, graphs and photos. Once this is complete, please fill in the short online form with your key details and attach the submission template (as a Powerpoint or PDF file).
- For Initiatives – Fill in the online form and share your insight with us in no more than 450 words of text (50 words summary, 400 words detailed) and framed withing the aspirations of our “Six Pillars of Sustainable Construction”.
- Click ‘Submit’. You will receive confirmation of your entry upon receipt. Good luck!
- Early September – Open for entries
- 15th October – Close for entries
- Late October – First stage judging takes place
- 1st November – Shortlists announced
- November – Site visits (where applicable)
- December – Judges’ winners decided
- February 2022 – ASBP Awards 2022 Finale Ceremony, either at ASBP Healthy Buildings Conference 2022 (date TBC) or special Awards evening ceremony – Judges’ Winners announced and People’s Prize voting
- March 2022 – Awards showcased at Futurebuild 2022, ExCel London, 1st-3rd March
Six reasons to enter…
- Raise your organisation’s profile across industry and demonstrate that you are leading the way in your field by taking part in an ever-growing and popular awards programme that is highly regarded across the built environment sector.
- Announcement as a shortlisted entrant/finalist to our 2300+ mailing list, 6000+ social media contacts, 15+ partner organisations and media partner Futurebuild (60,000+ mailing list).
- Case study, product profile or short video displayed on ASBP website (for shortlisted entrants).
- Finalists will be invited to present at the ASBP Awards finale ceremony in February 2022, either at the ASBP’s 6th annual Healthy Buildings Conference and Expo or a special Awards evening.
- Finalists showcased at Futurebuild which attracted 20,000 visitors in 2020.
- It’s completely FREE to enter!
Thank you to our sponsors
We’d like to say a huge thank you to our sponsors for supporting this year’s ASBP Awards.
Previous winners of the ASBP Awards include:
- RAFT – Harry Paticas, Retrofit Action For Tomorrow
- Regulate Embodied Carbon campaign – Architects Climate Action Network (ACAN)
- Geanaisean/n-SIP panel system – MAKAR
- Green Tiles – Colin Rice, self-builder/Cullinan Studio
- Squash – URBED & Squash Nutrition
- Bowman’s Lea step-by-step retrofit – Harry Paticas
- EcoCocon straw bale panel – EcoCocon/Straw Works
“I would like to express my gratitude to the ASBP for all the hard work they do in defining what sustainable construction could and should be. Given the love and effort that I have put into my retrofit project it meant a lot to me (and my family) to win an ASBP Award.”
Harry Paticas, ASBP Awards 2019 and 2021 winner
About the ASBP Awards
The ASBP Awards is an exciting awards programme, organised by The Alliance for Sustainable Building Products. The 2019 and 2020 Awards recognised construction projects, both new-build and retrofit, that exemplified excellence in sustainability through their products, design and delivery. For the 2021 Awards we took a different approach, shining the light on transformative ideas and the people behind them.
Previous years’ awards have been a huge success and the judges have found the assessment process challenging and inspiring in equal measure. The winners are announced at our annual Healthy Buildings Conference and Expo which regularly attracts 200+ attendees. The finalist projects from the 2019 and 2020 Awards are featured as case studies on the ASBP website – asbp.org.uk/case-studies. A recording of the 2021 Awards Grand Final can be viewed on our website.
About the ASBP
The Alliance for Sustainable Building Products (ASBP) is a cross sector, not-for-profit organisation, comprising, building product manufacturers and distributors, specifiers, designers, contractors, public interest and sustainability organisations, and other building practitioners.
The ASBP is committed to accelerating the transition to a high performance, healthy and low carbon built environment by championing the increased understanding and use of building products that meet demonstrably high standards of sustainability.
The Alliance for Sustainable Building Products was launched at an event at the Palace of Westminster in November 2011 and now has over 90 members. Please see www.asbp.org.uk for more information.