Future resilience lies in our urban environments and London’s population is projected to increase to almost 11 million by 2040. Creating a ‘London’ that works for all Londoners means addressing a number of and critical issues and it has never been more pressing to explore these challenges and provide ways of delivering results that make a positive impact London, as well as the wider environment and society.
As part of the collaboration between Vision London and Futurebuild, leading speakers from the urban design and architectural world were on hand to discuss and debate the future vision for London, in a symposium sponsored by Transport for London.
These focused on the key themes of The London Plan to ensure that London is:
- A city aiming to achieve long term resilience
- A city that meets the challenges of economic and population growth
- A city of varied, strong, secure and accessible neighbourhoods with good quality homes for all
- A city that recognises the value of the natural environment
- A city that enhances the health of its citizens through good planning and design of its buildings, streets and public realm